What To Carry Along When Going For Rehab
Rehab treatment centres permit certain things and prohibit certain items; you should know the policy of your rehab treatment facility beforehand.
Rehab centres have strict policies in place regard what an inpatient can bring with him or her. A list of allowed objects and forbidden ones is presented by most clinics.
The admission process begins as soon as you check in. All the items that are not allowed will be eliminated at this step. Many inpatient facilities record the stuff you bring in their database in order to ensure none of your stuff is left behind when you check out.
However, all treatment centres allow you to bring in the necessities that are required. Every clinic has rules on additional items.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
How To Find Information About What To Bring
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. Alternatively, you can also look for the frequently asked questions [FAQs] section if the page mentioned above does not exist. Some centres are known to offer packing checklists, which is printable that you can refer to while packing. Alternatively, you can get in touch directly with the rehab administrators. They should be able to help you with that concern. If you have any doubts you will find all the answers and explanations before your admission.
Items That Most Clinics Endorse
The list varies from centre to centre.
Below are some items that are most recommended
- A list of names, home addresses, and telephone numbers of the people you want to be part of your therapy (those you care about, medical professionals, 12 step guarantors, etc.).
- Jewellery that means the most value to you just like an engagement or wedding ring.
- Except for the above you are advised to leave all valuables at home.
- Alarm clock with no other features like radio or what not.
- It is important to get in touch with the rehab clinic before as some of them provide these objects.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- All the medicines must be up to date and prescribed by a certified doctor.
- All this information should be provided before the patient is admitted.
- Some cash can also be carried in small amounts £50-£100 in smaller bills for vending machines and store runs.
- Your check book, credit card and debit card for the payment of treatment medications are also allowed.
- Your insurance cards and an ID (driving license, passport, etc.)
- All the contact information that may be used in case of anything.
- A notebook or a journal.
- Stamps and envelopes for mailing letters if you wish to.
- Pictures of your loved ones to be retained within your room or your wallet.
- Most rehabs provide inpatients with books and magazines to read.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- TIP Should you bring books, we recommend you to bring paperbacks as they are more handy than hardbacks.
What Type Of Clothing Is Necessary
Be conscious of any limitations on the dress code while packing because most clinics have one. Include clothes for different weather conditions in your bag if you don't know how the climate is going to be.
Bear in mind that the space within your room could be limited, and therefore, you are advised not to over pack.
Patients enjoy access to common laundry machines and therefore clothing that will last you for 7-10 days will be more than enough. Clothes that are easily cleaned are the best to carry.
You should bring weather-appropriate clothes for at least 7 days.
- Shoes An everyday comfortable shoes, a training or sports shoes for fitness activities, and flip flops for showering
- Shirts You need to make sure you bring the shirts that are allowed in that facility, tank tops need to be accompanied by cardigans.
- Shorts The dress code of the centres will determine the length of the shorts.
- Dressy outfits for special occasions like the family night will also be useful.
- Bathing suit One is more than enough.
- A jacket.
- Bathing robe.
- A belt.
- A hat it is possible that the centres may not allow hats indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products To Take
A number of centres require alcohol-free toiletries and personal products. There are other centres that will let you bring products that do not contain alcohol in the first three ingredients. Aerosols are not allowed
You should hygiene and cosmetic products that should last a month
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair styling products [pump hairspray only]
- Products used mostly by females
- Shaving cream
- Sun cream
Items Not To Take To Rehab
A severe set of regulations and forbidden objects are present in every clinic. These items don't guarantee the proper surroundings for your retrieval and aren't safe Please find below the list of objects that are forbidden, it may be different from clinic to clinic
- Liquor and any form of drug
- Opiates and other medicines
- Weapons [guns, knives, sharp objects, scissors, etc.].
- Food and drinks
- Toiletries and beauty products which contain alcohol (mouthwash, perfume, etc.)
- E cigarettes
- Medications that are not prescribed
- Volatile substances like nail polish or polish remover and the likes
- Video games and DVDs
- Sporting apparatus
- Clothing that is not descent
- Peroxide agents
- Electrical devices (televisions, gaming consoles, etc.)
- Games and playing cards
- Incense and candles
- Statement shirts with explicit or statements in reference to drugs, violence or substance abuse
While you might not expect certain things to be banned, like electronic products and sport equipment, but many centres do not allow them. The recovery procedure usually requires maximum concentration and that is why some items are not allowed. However, some of the rehabs could facilitate you to get these equipments on some days.
Outside catering is also prohibited because the food you eat needs to be according to the standards. You will get all the meals that you need on a daily basis. You should look forward to notifying your rehab before being admitted if you have any special dietary requirements.
These Items Are Permitted By Some Clinics But Not Others
Because policies differ from centre to centre, it is possible to find that some items are allowed in one and not in another. You may wonder but some centres allow these items inside the facility
- Cell phone and Laptop
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- Don't leave your charger behind.
- There are facilities that allow patients to bring cigarettes.
- However, you may be restricted in the number of cigarettes you are to take in a day.
- Vitamins and Over-The-Counter Medications
- These products must be new and unopened.
- Chewing gums
- They have to be closed and sealed.
- MP3 and CD Players
- You might be permitted to bring along entertainment devices that can work without speakers and internet.
- Cameras should also not access the internet.
- Disposable or Electric Shavers or Razors
- This depends on the rehab facility since it is considered dangerous.
- The rehab you check in might allow some type of shaving equipment.
- Nail Clippers
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Additional Items
- The rehabs allow you to come with things that will make you feel as comfortable as possible just like you are at home.
- However, all these items should be allowed first.
Can I Have Prohibited Items Back Later On
Don't freak out if you bring along something forbidden after you get to the clinic. The personnel will just endorse it to your accompanying friend or loved one. In case you got no one with you at the time of admission, they will hold the item for 24 hours until your representative can claim it. It is possible that the centre might store the item till your release day.
In case you live alone and are planning to check in by yourself. You should check with the centre what items are allowed and what are not before packing. You also need to be sure of the safety of your items if they are not allowed inside the facility. They can either send them back to your place or keep them safe till the end of the recovery process.
Packing For Rehab Can Be Easy If you have doubts about some object review your clinic's regulations. Facilitate the application process by reviewing the packing checklist of your clinic's website. As a generally suggested idea, pack and travel light and keep it to bare essentials.
Reach Out For Help Today
No need to worry since some of the facilities accept most of the items that will make your recovery process as smooth as possible. Look for top clinics that can suite your necessities with the support of our therapy experts.
We can connect you with one if you get in touch with us on 0800 772 3971 .