Taking The Steps From Rehab Toward Living Normally
It is more difficult remaining abstinent for long even after doing a great work to reach the level of abstinence. Setting goals and adopting healthy hobbies can help you stay clean after you complete rehab.
An atmosphere with good social backing that enables users to maintain abstinence by encouragement of security and contentment is the rehabilitation centre.
It offers a safe and conducive environment to heal and recover from addiction.
Moving on from rehab can bring along several new challenges when an effort is made to learn how to navigate an absolutely fresh and a sober lifestyle and this is although the individual could be overcome by excitement because of the movement.
It is possible for you to attain prevention and coping with the initiators by getting to know them well. This skill and awareness enable you to effectively fight the urges and triggers that draw you every now and then.
Coping With Urges After Rehabilitation
The change to normal life after living in a rehab is something that is hard for many people.
Once you are back in the real world, time and again triggers and situations that pushed you toward the path of addiction might confront you again.
You will have to go back to the past environment where you used to be an addict and this is what gives you the desire to go back to the drugs or alcohol.
Many things, like ones discussed ahead, help you dodge old temptations
- Establish Positive Relationships and Support System
- Surrounding yourselves with sober people along with people who could have your best interests at heart and want to provide you the help needed to become successful.
- Participate in support groups or have a reliable confidant who will not only police your negative tendencies but also holds you accountable for your actions and commitment.
- Environment Change
- Ensure your house is free of any traces of drugs before you move into it after completing rehab.
- Any situation that would want to make you reuse must be evaded.
- Commit To Realistic And Achievable Goals
- You will find yourself better equipped to handle temptations after you have defined what you want to achieve in future.
- It makes sticking to abstinence simpler if there is a deep understanding of the advantages and good effects of being abstinent.
- Don't Miss Group Or Personal Therapy Sessions
- Make sure to complete all counselling sessions and any post-rehab appointments to keep you in check.
- It is always challenging to keep going for these appointments but they are very important.
- Find a reason every day to be thankful for the accomplishment you have achieved.
- Make sure that you are grateful for your life and recognize the efforts you have made to become clean.
- You can keep a journal of your life's journey throughout the days that you have left the rehab facility.
- Change Your Lifestyle For The Better
- Look for a fresh practice that is good and keep doing it over and over again because according to a research documented in the European Journal of Social Psychology, the time for a new practice to be second nature to one is about two months.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Partake In Sober Activities Instead Of Using
You will experience success in withdrawing from the drugs if you engage in new hobbies.
Activities which promote sobriety do not have to be boring because there is plenty of fun, which can be had without the use of drugs and alcohol.
For help with staying sober post rehab, or if you need to go back, contact us on 0800 772 3971.
You can keep yourself mentally busy with these positive activities to stay clean after rehab
- Spending time in museum
- Pursuing a degree or going back to school
- Learn a new language
- Plant a garden
- Offer humanitarian services
Seek Outlets That Provide A Community Sense
Seek for the nearest available support organization in your area and take advantage of the services offered. Mingle with positive people and sign up for personal or group discussions.
Other activities that you can pursue are personal therapy sessions, 12-step community sessions, and other alternative support systems.
Chances Of Partying And Going To Bars Without Touching Alcohol
It may be challenging for a person who has just left rehab to resist the temptation to drink a little when they are in a bar. When you are in a place where access to drinks or other possible substances is uninhibited, then you may just well forget about sobriety.
However, there can be situations when some type of alcohol use will become inevitable [like for example a family holiday party] and they are certain steps which you can take that can ease the situation for you.
Methods to Avoid Temptations In Social Settings
- Try not to go alone; instead take someone who's close to you and who doesn't drink.
- Have in hand a non-alcoholic beverage which will keep your senses occupied.
- You can also spend as little time as possible in the gatherings where alcohol is available.
- Depart immediately if you begin to feel uncomfortable or tempted.
The Benefits Of Getting And Staying Off The Alcohol And Drugs
Your general well being will be improved when you start being sober. In addition to that, there are some advantages that you will get and not just for your health. The reasons to remain sober include
- Make new, clean friends
- Having new investments
- Excitement for life and mental clarity which is enhanced
- Ability to focus on other pleasurable activities
- Looking and feeling better
- Becoming an example and a source of anticipation for others who could be struggling with an addiction
Perhaps saying that bouncing back and getting well from addiction is a very daunting task could be an understatement. It certain that it is not a straightforward and easy process. The will to be sober will help you in the recovery process in the long run even when it is a challenging process.
You must be willing to keep clean for you to be successful. Recollection of reasons you decided to stop using at the beginning helps when faced with urges to backslide.